Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Music Composition for Video


This is a shot of me doing some work in the studio for my Music Scoring for video.  I started out recording live instruments such as guitar, bass, and some acoustic drums.  I used some fairly basic processing using such preamps as the Avalon 737, which adds nice analog warmth to any recording.  From there I added in some different synthesizer patches within Pro Tools to add more layers.  I used a drum machine to add some extra effects to the drum tracks.  I recorded my micro korg as well to have more control over my synth sounds.  Any other instruments such as horns I used my micro korg as a midi controller to punch in the horn instrumentation.  Getting the right reverb on each track to add proper depth and space was very important as well.  The important part was getting the music to add the necessary emotional effect to the video.  Using volume automation I was able to add the necessary dynamic quality to add the punch I desired.  Besides that it just came down to using my vast knowledge of music theory to compose a chord progression and melody that fit along with the piece.  I layered in some different sound effects to add to the mix in slight layers.  This adds greater depth to the mix especially when listening on a nice pair of headphones.  Getting the drums to mesh properly took a good amount of EQ-ing as well as some light compression to get everything to resonate properly and also cut through the mix.  Rhythm helps drive the piece forward to add the exact flair to my video piece.  Adding this music to my film really helped jump the effectiveness of the overall piece soar above and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment