Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Location Sound and Video Editing




This is from a group project that I helped work on several quarters ago during my Field Sound Production class.  It was a short film that a fellow classmate had already come up with the script for.  We shot it on a location off campus and I did some boom operation while the filming was going on.  There were two of us doing boom, one for each character to make sure they got the clearest sound quality.  Adding those tracks with the ambience of the camera audio really added to the feel of the piece.  I edited the piece for continuity, which was difficult at times because our shooting was on a tight schedule, so piecing together the script from only a couple takes of each line made it fairly difficult.  I mainly achieved success through using a lot of reaction shots as opposed to just showing each person talking back and forth.  I used a couple sound cuts, as loud sounds are made it really helps make the cut more invisible and flow with the emotion of the piece.  Color correcting for this piece was a lot of fun, and I chose to make it black and white to match a classic mob movie piece.   It was great adding a little bit of film grain in there as a top layer on it to give it the extra spice it needed.  From there I found music beds which were appropriate for the style of shoot we were doing.  It ended up turning out much better than what I originally thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment