Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Sound Design and Music Composition



This is one piece that turned out fantastic despite being given few tools to work with.  The object was to sound design completely from scratch a scene from an old science fiction movie.  We were not allowed to use any canned sounds and everything had to be created using only sound synthesis.  I chose an old classic, War of the Monsters and found the perfect monster fight scene to recreate. 

The most unique part about this piece that I enjoyed doing the most was creating the monsters different roars that they do throughout the battle.  I did this by layering several distorted sounds from the Vacuum plug-in in Pro Tools.  I then modified them by putting them the various pitch shifters, flangers, and to add the larger than life sound I put them through some reverbs.  The results turned out fantastically. 

Creating the ordinary sounds was actually the hardest part of the process.  Without Foley as an option I had to get creative and create footsteps out of different low bass drum pads. With some careful EQ work I managed to get them to sound like real footsteps instead of what they originally were.

For the music I wanted something that would match the otherwise cheesy puppets fighting. With that in mind I composed some fairly basic chord structures that helped move the action forward, and they added the proper tension to the piece.

Given all of the time I put into the project I’m definitely proud that it turned out so well. After sound designing this piece I feel like I can create sounds for any occasion or piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment